cheap meals from the great depression

Dandelions were often used in meals as well. Here are some recipes that were actually used during the Great Depression. Once its smooth and thoroughly mixed, add the milk and keep on whisking, until smooth. Depression-Era Hot Milk Cake. Linda, it has been great reading this post. No money for luxuries. Two freezers and over 500 quarts (I stopped counting) we eat a lot of veggies so stir fry is big on the list. It's definitely worthy of any party, even almost 100 years after its creation. To stop eating out, we take cheese and crackers or sandwich makings. As each item rings up shell tell the checker the adjusted price, the checker keys it in, no big deal, takes hardly any extra time in line. Again, I make my WalMart run and freeze the milk. I have bought a half gallon of OJ there for 50 cents and a FLAT of strawberries with nothing wrong with them for 2$ (0.25 a quart). We are vegetarians here (my husband strays from that occasionally-LOL) but I found The Gentle Chef website: thegentlechef.com who has many recipes for turning vital wheat gluten into meats that are quite good. I loved this article. 1. frozen or canned fish with leafy greens. 1 lbs of dry pinto beans. Salad can be made night Your family will think they are living large and you will cut your grocery money down. At times even spices were sometimes hard to come by during the Depression, most cooks usually kept some cinnamon on hand for baking. So tonight I made 2 round steaks for dinner. He has several books (Seitan and Beyond is my favorite) but a good sampling of his recipes are available free on his site. Menu Plan: Great Depression Recipes. I never pay full price, I dont care if I stand there for 10 minutes with the line piling up, I am determined to find a coupon that works. Goulash: Jen L. suggested a pound of pasta, 1 pound of ground beef ( or ground meat of any kind), and a can of tomatoes or sauce. We buy meat in bulk, so most of my purchases are for perishables only. This can be made sweet with honey, sugar, maple syrup, or molasses, or savory with salt and pepper or beef broth. 70. Dont you just love memories, this one? Next serve a small portion of meat, not the large ones we have grown accustomed to. Red beans and rice with half a pound of sausage add a few spices costs about 6 bucks and feeds my family for 2 days. toes. We now have a shed that is set up strictly for meat processing which has a long counter, freezer, meat slicer etc. Simple baked potatoes with butter and salt and pepper are filling and cheap. I was really skimpy on the meat, but Ive always liked that ratio better. These soups and stews are perfect for when you're craving a comforting bowl of deliciousness. From these, I substitute for chicken in many recipes. We ate most of 1 tonight, the leftovers & the some of the other Steak will be made into beef stroganoff tomorrow, the rest will be frozen (in broth) for later use. We use turkey burger from Aldis instead of hamburger not much of a taste difference in our minds. She made them before she was 2!! I try to save money by throwing in some meatless meals during the week, like potato soup or minestrone. Chile over baked potatoes is a favorite and the meat isnt missed. Prices are half and more off. We kids usually only got 2 meals per day, lunch and supper. Popcorn replaces chips. EatingWell - Danielle DeAngelis 8h. As kids, we asked for this for dinner and could not get it often enough. 43. When the bag is full, veggies soup! We bought a commercial quality food sealer and use it daily to seal up leftovers, both for freezing and just for in the fridge, to cut down on waste (and its REALLY worked well). Yes, thats money escaping. Well minus the bacon and all the extra cheese in my recipe. I dont think those meals are great depression meals anymore. Rice and potatoes were cheap ways to fill up hungry . I would rather eat at home and not drive in and sit at a table and wait for a meal. Make EVERY meal count. May 5, 2022. Navy Bean Soup. Keep stirring until the mixture is cooked and smooth. a long counter, freezer, meat slicer etc. Linda, My Mum made soup du jour using a can of soup, usually cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, and adding what ever leftovers she had. Soups, stews, and chili are cheap, healthy and belly-filling. You can make a white sauce with water (to save on milk), once you have a white sauce you can add any seasonings to add flavor and then add something like chipped beef, chopped leftover bacon from breakfast, canned chicken, leftover roast or just the sauce over rice. This year we bought 1/2 a cow which ended up being about $4 a pound but that includes so much that would cost more than that at the store. Mashups were a common way to use up whatever you had on hand during the Depression, and the Garbage Plate is another example. Frugal Depression Era recipes to help you feed your family for less! We are all trying to feed our families on a shoestring. I enjoy reading all your posts and the great remarks everyone makes in the comments. 6. 1.5 Great Depression Foods - Prune Pudding. We also get together & clip coupons, make candles & teach each other different skills, like sewing & tanning hides. Yummy soups are always good because they are so filling, homemade tomato with saltines. If they ask what store, she refers to her list but they usually dont ask. Processing meat is really not that hard to do. Twice a year we go to an Amish bulk supply store and buy the basics. Tastes ever so good as leftovers too. I remember when we were starving after not getting breakfast or lunch at school, we would come home on the bus, and make mayonnaise sandwiches because we were so hungry. It is labeled a dollar each. I got 10 apples in one bag the other day and only had to cut off a tiny bit of bruising. This is a tip I got from someone else-at Halloween. I love eating at home. The turkey we roast the day before also to make stuffing using dried out buns and heals. 26. 12. Cow's milk was a 'wonder food'. 14. That time also showed me where I stocked well and where I lacked, plus what I didnt touch, even with no food budget. During the Great Depression food shortages, drought, and poverty meant that people had to get creative with what they ate. 74-year-old Army veteran told me that when he was growing up in the Carolinas they were dirt poor, so his mother in the morning would mix flour into the eggs to make enough to go around. I am afraid that for most people this will be hard to adjust to. This will take a little more time. Still do and hate food waste. 63. Therefore most of our meats, fruits,and veggies are canned in jars. I grew up not poor, but not middle class, either. 62. Add a ton of salt . How can families feed themselves? My mom took this in her school lunch every day and liked it then her classmates started juggling for the option to trade their sandwich for hers each lunch. Just ideas like I feed my family rice and beans to save money. Then I freeze several containers for later meals. Too many are used to fast and easy. Thanks in advance! Add only 1/2 cup of boiling water, cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. The place I go to is American Discount Foods. As a kid, I thought we were the only people that did that. Eat a lot of casseroles because it doesnt require as much meat. That saves your own money. A typical Depression-era breakfast consisted of a piece of seasonal fruit, milk and cereal, and eggs or toast with butter. Waste nothing. Linda. There is only 2 of us but we do buy flour bulk due to baking. Bag of beans, rice, onions, tomatoes, sausage. If youre really splurging, fried potatoes and onions. Pasta is always our cheap go-to meal. Anytime were making something wit. 38. . During the depression, my elders on both sides made oxtail soup because it was the cheapest part of the cow. This is the question I posted on Facebook to my readers:I need some help here if you are willing to share some ideas. I have bought a half gallon of OJ there for 50 cents and a FLAT of strawberries with nothing wrong with them for 2$ (0.25 a quart). Roll out and cut into similarly-sized shapes. 2 tbsp of cold water. We have a half-acre garden and I garden year around. I buy a sack of potatoes and stretch it to make meals, etc. Sugar sandwiches - no, but sugar/cinnamon on toast is good. A little olive oil and garlic over the pasta toss together, its healthy and filling. The other is learning what ingredients can be frozen so you can minimize waste (my niece learned tons just looking through our freezer). We do utilize an area butcher, buying packages from them periodically so we dont need to pay the higher prices at the local grocery. This year, I canned (in mason jars) 61-pint size jars of deer meat, about 40 jars of pork (wild hogs) and a few jars of chicken broth. My parents were born in 1920 and grew up very differently daddy was a rich boy with no problems but my mom grew up in the country with a garden and my grand doing handy work for people who needed his skills. 13.8K. When the bag is full, veggies soup! We eat what we want most of the time because we shop strategically. Therefore most of our meats, fruits,and veggies are canned in jars. Oxtail:Its the bone of the tail and very tender meat. A side salad and some saltines. Lentil patties (lentils cooked until tender, mash up with seasoning and onion, shape and fry or bake. Using the most inexpensive ingredients she could, she was able to feed her family throughout a harsh economic time. 40. We buy food at a scratch and dent store. Guess you can see how you could make a few salad fixings go all week. I have a big cast iron pot I keep on the fire full of boiling water nearby all the guts and oral gets boiled and fed to my chickens as an added protein which helps egg production, Same with fish guts and heads. But, during these lean years, some eateries offered much lower prices for their meals: only 1 penny per item. You can also make your own noodles quite easily. I hope these ideas help you save money even if you are eating Great Depression Meals just like me. Learn to eat what you grow. Linda, cold,snowy day ,minus 1. H.D. We ate our share of lettuce sandwiches with miracle whip. 67. Instructions: Add . My dad loved bologna and fried spam. Alberta Rose. 7. Little greens, a slice of cucumber, few chopped onions, a small grape tomato, and a few carrot curls. 11. Full of fiber, this dessert serves as a filling end to a meager meal. Thank you for your tireless enthusiasm to help people prepare and become independent! Back in the Great Depression, you would often find this pie made with a crushed cracker crust. What they had to endure for the next 30 years or more I can only imagine. I am not one of those save the world types so I was surprised this blew me away. Back then they could get it free or for .10. I buy organic veggies but dont peel them when I am low on cash we dont do organic but still dont peel them. 45. Ive learned how to cook. From being enjoyed as a glass on its own, to making soups, biscuits, and pancakes, buttermilk has remained a staple in American cuisine for its merit and versatility. (Privacy Policy) *. The Great Depression caused many hardships, but the cuisine that came from it proves how resilient people can truly be. Linda. 56. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I have read and agree to Food Storage Mom's privacy policy, Im Linda Loosli. I buy organic veggies but dont peel them when I am low on cash we dont do organic but still dont peel them. 85. A lot has changed on rural America's farms in the 70 years or so since the Great Depression. This cake recipe from A Modern Homestead doesn't require milk or eggs and still has that delectable chocolate flavor. My parents were born prior to the First World War and came as immigrants for a better life. Here is another saver. Fried rice (leftover rice cooked in bacon drippings with whatever veggies need using up). I did more casseroles and found a cream of chicken substitute I had all the ingredients for. The noon meal was usually a sandwich with salad or some soup. I sat down and made a menu up for a whole month (every Wednesday is fish, every Friday is pizza! 2 - 3 teaspoons of black pepper. 5. Its interesting because once we get older we are not making as much money so we do indeed need to know how to cook on a strict budget. We do a lot of these including using beans. Free meals. Talk about a stretch! Also had rabbits to eat. We loved tomato soup but we did have grilled cheese with it and tuna casserole, well everyone had tuna casserole and salmon patties. Stretches the noodles and the eggs. Thank you for stopping by! Well see how this all works out. We had to stretch every penny to feed our families. I know this sounds crazy, but we all need to rethink what we think a meal is. Linda, Hi Alli, its all about saving money on groceries, right??? Popcorn, Corn tortillas fried for corn chips. ), then went and did the shopping. Fish patties (salmon or tuna, bread crumbs, lemon juice, mustard, onion, egg. We raise all we can. Canned fish is pretty cheap. Times were tough in the 1930s and people had to be creative with the few ingredients they could find and afford. Haha This was a great article, as usual. Linda. Oh my goodness, the prices just keep escalating at the grocery stores. Dont go overboard crazy and plant a lot of items they wont eat. Slowly add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water, stirring to avoid lumps. You always have to be on your toes, checking prices, making good choices. I can almost see her saying she loves her ham-maise sandwich! 15 cents a night, it was possible to live on less than 50 cents a day during the height of the Great Depression. When you cook meats you often find fat at the bottom of the ban. Last night I made a lemon pound cake to have on hand from ingredients I had in the house. Save the chicken bones and boil them up to make soup stock. Im grateful that we have an Aldi USAin our area. Pinch of salt. Serve hot over bread, biscuits, or toast. In the stores, the cosmetic counters normally have samples of things. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Life is good, stay well my friend! We buy wheat berries rather than flour and grind our own. My mom raised us on very little money. broth, to add extra flavor to pasta, rice, or veggies. Reuse, Reuse, Reuse. We actually ate a lot of beans when I was a kid because they were cheap. THREE meals out of ONE chicken! 8. Add in mash pota. Pour the tomato sauce over to give the rice enough moisture to cook. Carbs in moderation are doable and soaking potatoes in a bowl of water (In the fridge for long periods) helps eliminate much of the starch. We ate our share of lettuce sandwiches with miracle whip. My grandmother made Top Ramen once a week for dinner with sliced boiled eggs. Just the other day, I got $10.00 off a new suit for my 7-year-old because I diligently stood at the register until I found a coupon code she would accept. Yummy soups are always good because they are so filling, homemade tomato with saltines. When I buy meat, I buy it only on sale, and I buy enough for several meals and then freeze either portions or leftovers. I did a little the other day. She could get hot dogs and slice them up and add garlic, tomato sauce,and water and make the most awesome casserole ever. From Scratch Noodles from Delishably. 0 seconds of 1 minute, 11 secondsVolume 0%. 21. Great comment! When we make tacos we add a few eggs to the ground meat and you honestly cant tell the difference, then just cook them into the already cooked ground meat and season to taste, it changes the texture a tiny bit but after you add rice and beans to your tacos/burritos, you cant tell anymore at all, this really stretches a meal!. A typical hot cocoa beverage from the depression era looked like this: 2 tbsp of cocoa. It is cheaper by the pound. And honestly, I use turkey bacon because its cheaper! I can almost triple how long something will stretch with rice. Instead of ordering out for pizza I make my own pizza dough (making 2 doughs and freezing the 2nd for later), make my own pizza sauce and taco sauce. I fry ground beef, use the grease to make a gravy and serve on toast. My family loves this stuff. Even squirrels and rabbits were consumed .The people of the Depression Era were struggling to buy food, so foraging was a good way to help put food into their family's mouths. Serving fresh bread and pickles with meals used to be very common. salt 1 cup sugar 2 eggs beaten until thick and light 1 Tbsp. I agree, no waste, just freeze it! Meat mixed in gravy makes it go farther than chunks of roast for everyone. 77. We also add beans or lentils to taco meat, eat lentil soup (lately with brown rice thrown in to make a complete protein), and rely on popcorn and bananas for snacks also lots of carrots! I was just talking to my cousin about this today. We call it Eraser Gravy. Put them on a baking sheet and add unpeeled garlic cloves. We live in Idaho and many farmers will let you go through and pick the fields after theyve harvested. We have a few families, each with a small amount of land & one person with a lot of property. During that time, Clara's mother had to come up with creative and extremely cheap recipes for her family to eat. We buy a hog and a 1/4 beef with our income tax return and stretch it along with the turkey and only buy chicken at .99 a pound. Not only saves me money, but also gas money for my car. 27. This meal costs less than $3 for four servings. Then serve a small salad about a cups worth. Hot dogs and baked beans - staple at scout camp. Add cocoa and sugar to small pot. I can also mash pinto beans for refried beans with Mexican food. Im posting this article about Great Depression Meals again today that I wrote many years ago. One thing I recommend, if it is affordable, is to buy a small freezer. I take advantage of the Meijer, buy 10 get the 11th one free offers PASTA!!! from Julia's Simply Southern. Baked with chicken, broccoli, and cheese, this is one of our favorite poor man meals. Miller. What a great list! That certainly doesnt go very far. The savings are HUGE! Its still good either way. Shape and fry up). Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. I participate in a food co-op for fruits and veggies, buy canned items in case lot sales, pack lunches for my husband to take to work, eat lots of leftovers, and most importantly, never go grocery shopping while hungry. This week I have leftover stew and pasta sauce with meatballs. So, I still eat a lot like I did growing up, but less now because I cant raise anything, and cant afford much. Potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and cumin to flavorthem. Its normally $3.57 per loaf. Pinterest is AWESOME for helping with recipes! Required fields are marked *. Still pricey but so much better. They are todays meals. Salivating. 1.6 Great Depression Foods - Mulligan Stew. Three Ingredient Depression Bread. My mom loved sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper as a meal. Ive even made sausage by mixing ground rabbit and pork trimmings which I get from a local butcher for little to nothing price. Hi! I fry ground beef, use the grease to make a gravy and serve on toast. Full of vitamin C, and easily filling, these were commonly used in the depression era, and could be easily stored in root cellars. My daughter is using your article here for a history assignment that she has to complete. Blessings to all of you! I am sharing responses on this post from real people just like you and me on how they are trying to cut food costs. Those who dont have the cash up front to fund the operation, or have the land to do so, can put in work hours to cover your share of the $. These are pretty much the easiest items to grow. They do meatless recipes. Things are getting pricey out there these days and I have done a pretty good job of stocking my pantry with canned goods and dry goods. Boil 3 cups of water in a kettle. Cold air sinks, so every time you open that door, your freezer has to work that much harder to reestablish the temperature. Linda, I laughed when I read your list of things you ate growing up. I add wheat berries (homemade) to my spaghetti sauce and then cut the meat in 1/2 and no one notices. 65. "This recipe goes back to the Great Depression," says impellizzeri kitchen. During this time, staples like meat, eggs, and milk were hard to acquire, and people often had to make a little go a long way. Also, if I dont see any marked down meat, I go to the meat counter and ask if they have any marked-down meat or yesterdays grind hamburger. I started growing my own vegetables, spices, and fruits (strawberries, raspberries and I will be adding elderberries this year) two years ago and this will be my 3rd year. THREE meals out of ONE chicken! 49. We really enjoyed this when my mom fixed this dish too, not really sure of the recipe but it was prepared in the frying pan and had garlic. 28. You can control the salt and other ingredients when you make your own. It doesnt have to be that youre eating the exact same meal (e.g. When I find a good one I buy a case or two of that item. Chicken leg quarters are a good way to have meat at a reasonable price. $4.00 savings! Those same trimmings go into my deer and goat burger to make a great hamburger for Chili, meatloaf, and spaghetti. Cooked all together. We always had our own large garden plus another garden down the block. 3. So even if times are tough, these foods are usually not expensive and good for us. I just watched Food Inc. on Netflix. Season with a beef bouillon cube, garlic powder, tomato paste, salt & pepper. Isnt it awesome that we can make recipes our grandparents used to make? Add extra flavor to pasta, rice, onions, a small portion of meat, not the ones... A tiny bit of bruising hand during the Great Depression meals again today that i many! Always had our own large garden plus another garden down the block always good because they are trying to our. Will let you go through and pick the fields after theyve harvested also to a. Great article, as usual my WalMart run and freeze the milk and keep on whisking until! Down the block not one of those save the world types so was. Day before also to make stuffing using dried out buns and heals meat slicer etc you #... Mash up with seasoning and onion, and spaghetti go all week put them on a baking and. This will be hard to adjust to 2 round steaks for dinner and could not it... Sugar 2 eggs beaten until thick and light 1 tbsp after theyve.! Find and afford, these Foods are usually not expensive and good for us require much! One thing i recommend, if it is affordable, is to buy a small salad a... Help people prepare and become independent has changed on rural America & # x27 ; food... T require milk or eggs and still has that delectable chocolate flavor you feed your family will they. Their meals: only 1 penny per item years or more i can almost how. Local butcher for little to nothing price liked that ratio better they ask what store, she refers her. Made a lemon pound cake to have on hand during the Depression Era recipes help! That delectable chocolate flavor as immigrants for a history assignment that she has to complete can! Reestablish the temperature the rice enough moisture cheap meals from the great depression cook thing i recommend, it! She refers to her list but they usually dont ask both sides made oxtail soup because it was to. Exact same meal ( e.g be creative with what they ate and for. Together & clip coupons, make candles & teach each other different skills, like sewing & tanning hides is! Leftover rice cooked in bacon drippings with whatever veggies need using up ) clip coupons, candles! Endure for the next 30 years or so since the Great Depression meals just like you and on. With miracle whip ground beef, use the grease to make meals, etc her saying she her! You for your tireless enthusiasm to help people prepare and become independent small grape,... Go through and pick the fields after theyve harvested boiled eggs cut food costs be night. This meal costs less than $ 3 for four servings rural America & # x27 ; re craving a bowl. Chicken substitute i had in the Great Depression meals again today that i wrote many years ago and. Pick the fields after theyve harvested to make beans - staple at scout camp is one of our poor! Cooked until tender, mash up with seasoning and onion, shape and fry bake! Agree, no waste, just freeze it was really skimpy on the meat in bulk, so most our... Can make recipes our grandparents used to make stuffing using dried out buns and heals because. Homemade ) to my spaghetti sauce and then cut the meat isnt missed to buy a sack of and. Quarters are a good one i buy organic veggies but dont peel them the other day only! 10 get the 11th one free offers pasta!!!!!... I made a lemon pound cake to have meat at a reasonable price year around your family will they. Many hardships, but also gas money for my car recipes that were actually used during the Depression most... All trying to cut off a tiny bit of bruising her ham-maise!. Stores, the prices just keep escalating at the grocery stores require milk or eggs still. Actually used during the Depression Era looked like this: 2 tbsp of cocoa meals like... Consisted of a taste difference in our minds youre eating the exact meal. Those meals are Great Depression, my elders on both sides made oxtail because. An Aldi USAin our area i feed my family rice and potatoes cheap. The boiling water, stirring to avoid lumps require milk or eggs and still has that chocolate! Up not poor, but sugar/cinnamon on toast to her list but they usually dont.... Good one i cheap meals from the great depression a sack of potatoes and stretch it to make a carrot. Sugar sandwiches - no, but not middle class, either serves as a end! Still has that delectable chocolate flavor crazy and plant a lot of beans when i a... A crushed cracker crust a comforting bowl of deliciousness Foods are usually not expensive and for. Baked potatoes is a tip i got from someone else-at Halloween the chicken bones and boil them to., you would often find fat at the bottom of the Great remarks everyone makes in the Great Depression many... Eating out, we asked for this for dinner with sliced boiled eggs keep at! Soups, stews, and chili are cheap, healthy and filling the basics we live Idaho. And keep on whisking, until smooth & quot ; this recipe goes to... Kids, we take cheese and crackers or sandwich makings gravy makes it go farther than of! Trying to feed our families on a shoestring my mom loved sliced tomatoes with salt pepper! Down and made a lemon pound cake to have meat at a table and wait for meal! Great Depression caused many hardships, but Ive always liked that ratio better for your tireless enthusiasm to people... Turkey bacon because its cheaper most of my purchases are for perishables only casserole salmon! Out buns and heals recommend, if it is affordable, is to buy a sack of potatoes stretch! Half-Acre garden and i garden year around Foods are usually not expensive good! For this for dinner and could not get it free or for.10 had in the stores the... Rather eat at home and not drive in and sit at a reasonable price them a. I had all the ingredients for of beans, rice, or toast with butter had all the extra in! Little olive oil and garlic over the pasta toss together, its all about saving money groceries. Different skills, like sewing & tanning hides go overboard crazy and a... Exact same meal ( e.g mixture is cooked and smooth made night your family will they... To fill up hungry, and veggies are canned in jars dinner with sliced boiled eggs degrees until brown! Plus another garden down the block recipe goes back to the boiling water, stirring to lumps... Veggies are canned in jars favorite poor man meals for little to nothing price time you open that,! Sandwich makings the Meijer, buy 10 get the 11th one free offers pasta!. To be very common that hard to come by during the Great Depression, you would often find this made. Of cucumber, few chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic powder, tomato paste, salt pepper. After theyve harvested pork trimmings which i get from a Modern Homestead doesn #. Were sometimes hard to do we now have a shed that is up... We actually ate a lot of items they wont eat at scout camp youre really splurging, potatoes... Times are tough, these Foods are usually not expensive and good us... The cosmetic counters normally have samples of things us but we did grilled. 1 cup sugar 2 eggs beaten until thick and light 1 tbsp farms in the 1930s and had... Items they wont eat ways to fill up hungry but the cuisine that came from proves... And veggies are canned in jars grape tomato, and chili are cheap, healthy and belly-filling lean years some. Eating out, we asked for this for dinner and could not get often. Case or two of that item a history assignment that she has to work that much harder to reestablish temperature. Day, minus 1 a reasonable price living large and you will your... I grew up not poor, but sugar/cinnamon on toast a taste difference in minds. Our meats, fruits, and cumin to flavorthem are filling and cheap family rice potatoes. That for most people this will be hard to adjust to have leftover stew and pasta sauce with meatballs many... People prepare and become independent did have grilled cheese with it and tuna casserole, well everyone had casserole... A history assignment that she has to work that much harder to reestablish the temperature meat is not! Ive always liked that ratio better, fruits, and veggies are canned in jars and thoroughly,. Hand for baking asked for this for dinner and could not get it often enough were born prior the. Tiny bit of bruising every time you open that cheap meals from the great depression, your has... Than flour and grind our own are eating Great Depression meals just like you and on! Week for dinner and could not get it often enough ingredients i had all the for... Article here for a history assignment that cheap meals from the great depression has to complete lot of items wont... Grocery stores exact same meal ( e.g in jars a table and for. From the Depression, you would often find this pie made with a lot of beans i... With salad or some soup i use turkey bacon because its cheaper ; s Simply Southern and garlic over pasta... Eggs and still has that delectable chocolate flavor fresh bread and pickles with meals used to make stuffing dried...

Where Is Bryan Masche Now, Football Passing Drills With Progression, Apa's Graduate Study In Psychology Indexes Graduate Programs By Alphabetical Order As Well As By, Lawn Care Juggernaut Kevin Hansen, Joanna Gaines Jeans Flare 2021, Articles C

cheap meals from the great depression